The enchanting view of Oranmore Castle is enhanced by its reflection on Galway Bay, where sunsets and sunrises frame this majestic building. This 15th century castle belonged to the Clanricardes, a prominent Norman family in Galway. Galway was under the rule of the Marquess and fifth Earl Clanricarde in 1642 when the town revolted and joined the confederate forces. The Marquess garrisoned the castle and struggled to retain it and supply Galway Fort. The castle surrendered to Parliamentary forces in 1651 and was seized but his successor, the sixth Earl, eventually regained it.
Through marriage, it ended up in the Blake family, who eventually left in 1853. The buildings were left in ruins until the mid 1940s, when it was bought and restored by Lady Leslie. Her granddaughter, Leonie King, now lives here. It has four storeys, a rectangular tower house with a square staircase turret, and a great hall on the ground floor and more. Oranmore Castle is open to the public from June to August 10am-2pm (closed Mondays). To avoid disappointment please telephone in advance for more information on visiting arrangements, times etc. Guided group tours should be booked in advance.