Twelve miles (19 km) south-west of Tuam on the Galway road is the village of Claregalway, near which are the ruins of a Franciscan abbey built by John de Cogan in 1290. It was one of the most beautiful of its kind in the country.
The church consists of nave, choir, north aisle and transept, surmounted by a graceful tower, of which parts remain in good state of preservation. The archers under the tower are particularly beautiful, as are the windows and arcades. The old castle near by, with its massive square tower, was built by the de Burghs.
Where to stay
Claregalway offers a variety a excellent accommodation options from hotels, guesthouses and B&B's